Tuesday 6 October 2009

Funky Nassau: The Compass Point Story 1980-1986 (Compilation)



I almost didn't pick this CD up when I found it in my local library. The cover design was pretty lazy and the title ("Funky Nassau: The Compass Point Story") initially made me think it would just be another tired old funk compilation featuring tunes I've heard at least a million times each (like the Beginning Of The End track they've used as the title of this compilation). Had I not turned it over I wouldn't have discovered the treasure chest of tropical disco and laid-back spaced-out reggae-funk that defined much of the output of Island Records' Compass Point Studios in the Bahamas. Along with key tunes by Talking Heads, Grace Jones and Ian Dury there were a few surprises, like this track "Adventures In Success" made by Will Powers (a pseudonym for celebrity photographer, Lynn Goldsmith, whose photograph of Marianne Faithfull and Grace Jones tops this post):

WillPowers_AdventuresInSuccess(Dub Copy) by Jugend Klub

John Napier

No comments:

Post a Comment